Continue an Online Return in TurboTax Desktop Software
If you started your return in TurboTax Online but would like to switch to TurboTax desktop software, you can easily save your online return and open it in a desktop version of TurboTax.
To continue your TurboTax 2009 Online return in TurboTax 2009 desktop software:
- Sign in to your TurboTax Online 2009 return.
- On the Home tab, click the Save your 2009 to your computer link located in the lower left area.
- Save your return to your computer's hard drive, preferably in the My Documents folder. The file is saved with a .tax2009 extension.
- Sign out of TurboTax Online.
- Install your TurboTax 2009 software, if you haven't already done so.
Important: If your Online return includes tax returns for one or more states, you must install each state(s) as well. Otherwise, you'll receive Error 539 when you attempt to open your return in the Desktop version.
- Open the software version. From the Welcome screen, select Browse to find file. Or, from the File menu, select Open Tax Return.
- Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the .tax2009 file in step 3.
- Select the .tax2009 file, and then select Open.
- From the File menu, choose Save.
- (Optional) Once you are satisfied that your Online data transferred over properly, you can clear your Online return.