What is the definition of an unfit parent?
Parental unfitness is determined by state law. Generally, an unfit parent is one who has failed to have regular contact with a child or to contribute to his or her support. A parent is also unfit if he or she has been abusive or has otherwise failed to provide adequate care for the child.
Copyright © 2004 American Bar Association
- What should I look for when trying to choose a lawyer?
- How is the court system structured?
- What sorts of cases do state courts decide?
- Does needing a lawyer's help always mean that I have a legal dispute with someone?
- What is the idea behind our legal system?